Forests are a lifeline of our planet. To conserve and sustainably manage them, the UN has adopted a Strategic Plan for Forests 2017-2030. It’s the first-ever UN forest strategy and a far-reaching framework aimed at stopping deforestation and forest degradation. The plan consists of six Global Forest Goals to be achieved by 2030:
- Global Forest Goal 1 – Reverse the loss of forest cover worldwide through sustainable forest management, including protection, restoration, afforestation and reforestation, and increase efforts to prevent forest degradation and contribute to the global effort of addressing climate change.
- Global Forest Goal 2 – Enhance forest-based economic, social and environmental benefits, including by improving the livelihoods of forest dependent people.
- Global Forest Goal 3 – Increase significantly the area of protected forests worldwide and other areas of sustainably managed forests, as well as the proportion of forest products from sustainably managed forests.
- Global Forest Goal 4 – Mobilize significantly increased, new and additional financial resources from all sources for the implementation of sustainable forest management and strengthen scientific and technical cooperation and partnerships.
- Global Forest Goal 5 – Promote governance frameworks to implement sustainable forest management, including through the UN Forest Instrument, and enhance the contribution of forests to the 2030 Agenda.
- Global Forest Goal 6 – Enhance cooperation, coordination, coherence and synergies on forest-related issues at all levels, including within the UN System and across Collaborative Partnership on Forests member organizations, as well as across sectors andrelevant stakeholders.
Forests cover around 30 per cent of the Earth’s land area. An estimated 1.6 billion people depend on forests for subsistence, livelihood and employment. Further information you can find here: https://www.un.org/esa/forests/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/UNSPF_AdvUnedited.pdf
ForestFinest Consulting is your partner when it comes to sustainable and climate friendly forest and agro-forest management. We develop, manage and market forest and agro-forest projects worldwide. We support governments, communities, landowners and project developers in their efforts to manage forest land more sustainable.